Sunday, May 13, 2007

Hi everyone,

For anyone that may not have previously known, I leave for Tanzania on 5/17/2007. The idea is to volunteer as a teacher's assistant for the first three weeks, then spend the rest of my time in East Africa heading up through Kenya, and on to Uganda. After about three months, I fly to Ireland to meet the fam for a little vacation from the vacation. A 1st world country and some familiar faces will hopefully reenergize me to get back on the horse and keep going. Then it's on to India indefinitely. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself so I've taken it easy on the planning for that leg of the journey. All I know is that I have a one-way ticket to New Dehli and we'll see what happens. At least that's the plan so far. I kept the itinerary flexible because everything can change in a minute. This blog should be a good means of communicating what actually does happen to anyone that cares without bothering the people that do not.

I've been wrestling with the idea of sending those occassional mass emails to everyone in my address book. But those generic, and sometimes lengthy emails can seem a little impersonal and more like SPAM in my experience. I figure this way anyone that really wants to know can get an update without me forcing it on them. So we'll see how this goes and I'll adapt as needed.

Now it's off to make a buck or two before I go......

7 comments:

Mike Nolan said...

I love you- never forget!

Mead! said...

What up Mike, you crazy man. I'm gonna keep checking in on you, so don't go all M.I.A. on us... I want to see some cool pictures.

Mead! said...

Heh... that blogger x guy is Chris Mead by the way. See ya!

jesscash said...

hi mike

sounds like an awesome mission statement. just some comforting advice from an african... africa is not at 'third world' as it is often portrayed internationally. you will be suprised how technological it is and how easy access to internet. the best thing about africa are the people - they are so friendly, they will be the instruments that will get you around, give you good tips and be so willing to have you over for supper or whatever. so please dont be scared, africa is the most inspiring continent. i think you will learn a lot about yourself and america and what third world countries are actually like. i think you will get addicted to travelling to "third world" or developing countries, they have such a flavour about them. so just relax and enjoy, otherwise i am worried you will miss out on the absolute chilledness that is africa. if you need any help from my side, let me know.

enjoy mcdewar, will def keep in touch:)

K and L + 1 said...

Hey, Buddy good to hear you are well, and embarking on a fun and exciting adventure. Hope you have fun and P.S. if you’re on the same side of continent you might think about looking up Kat. As for us, Leah and I are working at Wind Cave National Park (SD). Travel safe and I’ll be reading.

Lost Buddy
Keith

VIKINGSruletheearthBIGGIE said...

hey mike, its zach, to bad i missed you buddy but have the best time ever and if you sleep with a chick make sure to double or even triple rap it cause there is some serious HIV runnin around...matter of fact why dont you just keep it in your pants. keep me updated and watch out for large animals that prey on tall lengthy awkward young men like yourself.
good things,

z

Muthoga said...

Habari Mike,
Good to hear your enjoying and learning tons. Enjoy Kili climb.
Cheers!!!
Muthoga